Skip to main content

Information for Out of State Students

Students from all states are welcome to apply to Hawai‘i Community College (Hawai‘i CC). Hawai‘i CC is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). This authorizes us to offer distance education to students in member states without seeking individual state’s approval.

Important Note for Prospective Students

If you are considering an online program that leads to a professional license in a state other than Hawai‘i, it is highly recommended that you contact the appropriate licensing agency in your state to seek information and additional guidance before beginning the program.

Hawai‘i Community College (Hawai‘i CC) offers two nursing programs that lead to professional licensure required within the State of Hawai‘i: the Associate of Science Degree in Nursing (ASN-RN) Program and the Certificate of Achievement in Practical Nursing (CA-PRCN) Program (temporarily not accepting new students at this time). To learn more, view the Professional Licensure Disclosure information on the Nursing & Allied Health program page.


Relocating during the course of a program to another state may impact whether the student can remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements and/or continue to receive federal funding. Prior to considering relocation, Hawai‘i CC encourages students to contact their program coordinator to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements, and to research the requirements of the state to which they intend to relocate. One suggested website for students who want to research licensure requirements by state is License Finder, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.

Acceptance of Transfer Credits & Prior-learning Credits

Students transferring to Hawai‘i CC from other institutions may request an evaluation of their previous academic records for the purpose of transferring credits. Hawai‘i CC accepts credits from accredited institutions recognized by the college. 

For more information, refer to the Transfer Credit Policies (7.208 and 7.209) or contact the Admissions and Records Office at or (808) 934-2710.

International Enrollments

Refer to the requirements for international students (F1) for details on international student admission requirements. If you have any questions about starting at Hawai‘i CC or need more information, please contact

Student Complaints

Contact the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs’ Office (808-934-2512) or email if you’re not sure where to go for help or if you have an issue or complaint. The Hawai‘i State student complaint process can also be found online.