Hawai`i Community College
Writing Intensive Program
WRITING INTENSIVE COURSE PROPOSAL PROCEDURES
Deadline for Spring 2015 proposals to be
to the Division Chair is September 17, 2014.
- The WI Coordinator will issue a call for proposals two semesters before a course is
scheduled to be offered.
- The division chair or WICC members will give interested instructors the
materials below: The first three items are available at the HawCC
writing intensive web site: www.hawcc.hawaii.edu/wwwwriting/WI/default.html
- An instructor proposing a new course will complete the "Request for Writing
Intensive Designation" form and attach a syllabus that meets WI guidelines. The
instructor will submit these materials for approval to the Division Chairs who will then
submit them to the Writing Intensive Coordinator.
- The WICC and the division chair will follow these guidelines when approving
- BOTH the proposed course and instructor must be approved for a WI course designation.
Approval is, therefore, instructor specific.
- Lecturers may propose writing intensive courses but must understand that the actual
scheduling of courses is dependent on availability of funds.
- The WICC will promptly review all WI course proposals and syllabi to make sure that they
meet the established WI guidelines according to the Evaluation Procedures for WI Cources and Checklist for Proposals.
- WI recommendations will be sent to the
- Division Chair
- Dean of Instruction
- Faculty Senate via the Senate Chair
- Once approved by the WICC, the course and instructor will be added to the Active WI
Course List. The WICC Chair will give the updated list to the Division Chairs and the Dean
- Division Chairs and the Dean of Instruction will work with instructors to decide which
active WI courses to offer as WI each semester and will schedule accordingly .
- At the end of each semester, the WICC will evaluate each WI course that was offered
according to the established guidelines.
- If a WI course on the Active List has not been offered as WI for five years or more, the
course/instructor will be listed as inactive. An inactive course must be renewed by
submitting another proposal form to the WICC.