Skip to main content

Transfer Pathways


Welina mai,

Hawai'i Community College continues to collaborate with other 4-year colleges to provide seamless and optimal academic/career pathways for our students. Below are current academic guides based on a student's career interest or by the colleges we are in partnership with for those planning to transfer in pursuit of a baccalaureate degree.

For More Information Contact:

Kanoe Lambert
Pathway Coordinator
Phone: 808-934-2613

UH Transfer Database

Note: In order to view the PDF documents in this section, you will need to have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Transferring from Hawai'i CC to Another Community College in the UH System

The student should determine if the program he/she wishes to pursue is offered by that community college. If it is, the next step would be to complete the Change of Home Institution form and submit it by that campus’ application deadline. Because each institution has different procedures, students should contact the other campus to verify how and when to request a transfer credit evaluation of courses taken at Hawaii CC. Students wishing to apply for financial aid should contact that campus’ Financial Aid Office to obtain any supplemental forms needed besides the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Transferring from Hawai'i CC to a Baccalaureate Program within the UH System

A Hawai'i CC student can transfer to UH Mānoa, UH Hilo, or UH West Oʻahu to pursue a bachelor’s degree. A student interested in transferring to one of these campuses should refer to that institution’s college catalog or website to check on the requirements for transfer students.

In general, a student will need at least 24 transfer level college credits and have at least a 2.0 GPA (resident) or 2.5 GPA (non-resident). Some majors will require a higher GPA. The GPA is used for admissions purposes, but is not transferable. If a student has less than 24 transfer level credits, the high school record will be used for determining admission. This will include the high school GPA, SAT or ACT scores, and college prep courses taken.

A student who has earned an articulated Associated in Arts (A.A.) degree from a UH Community College shall be accepted as having fulfilled the general education core requirements at all other UH campuses. However, in addition, a student must also complete any specialized lower-division, major, college and degree/graduation requirements, such as writing-intensive or foreign language requirements. Some of these additional requirements may be completed within the AA degree.

Students should develop an academic plan which anticipates transferring to a specific four-year campus. A student planning to transfer either before or after completing the AA degree is advised to see a Hawai'i CC counselor for assistance in selecting AA degree courses, which also will meet requirements of the campus and the program to which the student will be transferring.

The student must submit a UH System Application by the deadline and also request an official copy of his/her Hawai'i CC transcript to be submitted with their application and another transcript to be sent when the final grades are entered and after the degree is conferred. The latter should be requested if applicable.

Automatic Admissions
Students graduating from any of the University of Hawaiʻi’s seven Community Colleges with an A.A. degree or selected A.S. degrees will be notified that they may be eligible for automatic admission to UH Mānoa, UH Hilo, or UH West O‘ahu. Under automatic admission, the application fee is waived, priority registration provided, and student transcripts analyzed to help identify likely majors. Qualified students will receive an admission letter via their UH e-mail account informing them of their eligibility and must respond in order to take advantage of this opportunity.

Please contact the Hawai'i CC Counseling, Advising and Support Services Center at (808) 934-2720 for more information.

Transferring from Hawai'i CC to a Non-UH Campus

A Hawai'i CC student who plans to transfer to another campus should obtain information regarding the following: majors offered, cost (including transportation), financial assistance available, size (student population and physical layout), housing, student services, academic support programs, extra-curricular activities, climate, urban/rural/suburban setting, and requirements for transfer students. This information is in the college catalog. Many colleges and universities now have their college catalog on the Internet.

A Hawai'i CC student who plans to transfer to a non-UH campus will need to obtain application information and the application forms, and request the necessary official transcripts from Hawai'i CC be sent to the campus to which the student will transfer. The student should also obtain any supplemental financial aid forms aside from the FAFSA if he/she plans to apply for financial aid. Determining course equivalency is at the discretion of the receiving campus. Students are encouraged to contact an Academic Advisor at the transfer campus for assistance in selecting courses at Hawai'i CC that will transfer.