All University of Hawai‘i students will be registering using the new STAR GPS Registration system. With this new system, students are prescribed courses each semester that fulfill their degree requirements in the timeliest manner. Students can choose to follow the prescribed path, or select other courses based on scheduling needs. This innovative approach to registering is very dynamic and provides students an easy-to-navigate user interface which guides in selection of appropriate classes, tracking progress toward program completion and the ability to add/drop courses at the click of a button!
To access the STAR GPS Registration system, users can either go direct to the URL at www.star.hawaii.edu and log in using the MyUH username and password. Or, access to STAR is also available through the new MyUH Services Portal.
SOME BENEFITS OF STAR GPS
- Class registration information is integrated into one site and works together seamlessly.
- Students are guided on a path that prescribes required courses in the order in which these courses should be taken (if possible).
- Easy to use filters allow students to sort through classes based on time, day, class mode (online, hybrid, etc.), instructor, campus and many more options.
- Courses that conflict in time are easily noted to avoid time conflict errors.
- Class schedules connect at the click of a button to textbooks required for those courses.
STAR GPS TUTORIALS
Click the links below to access online tutorials, the STAR Registration Help Book, and the STAR system office for assistance: www.star.hawaii.edu/help
GET HELP AT AN ADVISING SESSION
Get help using the new STAR GPS Registration system by contacting the Counseling Office at 934-2720 (Hilo) or 969-8816 (Palamanui)
ASK A QUESTION
Please feel free to submit any questions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
FAQs: ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Will I still be able to register via the old MyUH account?
No. All students will be using the new STAR GPS Registration System. Students who try to access the MyUH add/drop portal will be redirected to use STAR to register.
2. Will the MyUH Portal still exist?
Yes, you can still access your portal to view your student information. The only feature that will be disabled is the add/drop courses options.
3. Where do I go if I need help with the new STAR GPS Registration System?
For assistance with navigating the new system, the Counseling Offices in both Hilo and Palamanui will be offering sessions to provide hands-on assistance. Please contact the Counseling Office at 934-2720 (Hilo) or 969-8816 (Palamanui) for more information.
4. Can I make changes to the courses prescribed in the Fall 2017 semester?
Yes, you can make changes by dragging and dropping courses into different semesters. We strongly advise that you work with your faculty advisor and/or Counselor to determine that the progression of courses you’re selecting is advisable. Changes that are made to the Graduation Pathways planner will be flagged with the name of the person making those changes for future reference. Once courses are moved around in the planner, it deactivates the “automation” that prescribes these courses. See a Counselor or Advisor if you need assisting re-establishing an academic plan/path.
5. What if I want to change my major?
To officially change your major, a Change of Major Form will need to be completed and submitted to the Records Office. Once the change is made, then STAR will begin to default to your new major two weeks prior to the start of the new semester. In the meantime, the student can do a “What If Journey” to determine how courses already taken will apply to the new major.
6. Where do I find the CRN and pre-requisites listed for individual courses?
Further detailed information about the course can be found by clicking on the down arrow in class selection portion of STAR:
7. What if I have a hold on my account?
Students with holds will still be able to use a “Preview” feature that will allow you to build a course schedule. However, you will not able to submit your registration until the hold has been resolved. Please note that classes selected during the Preview are not held, so other students can still fill up seats in the classes selected in the meantime. The only way to lock in registration is to resolve the hold and click the “submit registration” button while the classes are still available.
8. What if I receive a message saying that a planner is not available for me?
Students who are on catalog years prior to Fall 2013, Unclassified students or Early College/Early Admit students do not currently have a prescribed STAR Graduation Pathway. Registration can be completed in the STAR GPS Registration system by using the “Personal Choice” option. This allows students to select from any course that is offered. For assistance with registering, please see a Counselor or Advisor.
9. What if I encounter a pre-requisite error or special instructor permission error message when trying to register?
All pre-requisites and requirements for courses are still in effect. Students who receive these errors, but believe they are eligible to register into this course must receive an override from the instructor of the course before being able to register for the class.
10. My graduation pathway does not appear accurate to me. What should I do?
We are continuously striving to ensure the accuracy and ease of use of the STAR GPS Registration system. If you suspect that your planner is showing an error, please contact the Counseling Office or the Records Office nearest you to report and resolve your situation. Thank you for your patience and assistance!