Skip to main content

Professional Licensure Disclosure

Professional Licensure Disclosures are required for academic programs offered by institutions of higher learning that are (1) designed to meet educational requirements for a specific professional license or certification that is required for employment in an occupation, or (2) is advertised as meeting such requirements.

States vary in what professions they require to be licensed and how licensure functions. The licensure boards in each state are responsible for establishing the education requirements for licensure/certification for their state. The state professional licensing boards make the ultimate decision as to whether or not an individual will be eligible for licensure based on the rules and regulations in place at the time the individual submits their application for licensure.

Students from states other than Hawai‘i seeking to enroll in a Hawai‘i CC course or program that customarily leads to professional licensure/certification required to work in that occupation in the state of Hawaii, will be contacted via email upon submission of a completed Application for Admission to provide additional information and resources regarding program licensure. Applicants may also contact the professional licensing/certification agency in their state of residence directly to determine whether or not the Hawai‘i CC course or program meets the requirements in that state. You can learn about licensing requirements in your state by visiting the U.S. Department of Labor’s CareerOneStop License Finder website.

State Authorization

Hawai‘i CC is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) which allows the College to provide distance learning programs and coursework to residents of states other than Hawai‘i. NC-SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt Hawai‘i CC from state professional licensing requirements. As a result, licensing requirements in Hawai‘i may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state.


Relocating during the course of a program to another state may impact if the student can remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements and/or continue to receive federal funding. Prior to considering relocation, Hawai‘i CC encourages students to contact their program coordinator to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements, and to research the requirements of the state to which they intend to relocate. One suggested website for students who want to research licensure requirements by state is License Finder, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.

Hawai‘i CC Professional Licensure Disclosures

Hawai‘i Community College (Hawai‘i CC) offers two nursing programs that lead to professional licensure required within the State of Hawai‘i: the Associate of Science Degree in Nursing (ASN-RN) Program and the Certificate of Achievement in Practical Nursing (CA-PRCN) Program. To learn more, view the Professional Licensure Disclosure information on the Nursing & Allied Health program page.